Oct 5, 2012

We walked the dog today...

The loop at home.  Remember to bring the "bags"!
I am so annoyed but thankfully laughing at the same time.  Just around wake-up time, or just before then when I am in a deep sleep, there is a cold moist black nose that very gently lets me know he is there.  I don't want to wake up yet and so want to go back to dream land, but I have Scout.  This big furry thing blinks his eyes at me and I realize I have to yank my stiff body out of bed and get moving.   Everyday it takes me a while to get my joints started.  He understands and waits.  He seems to intuitively know when I need to move.

That is why I am so big on exercise.  We can all do it.  Pain eases through gentle movement.  Yoga helps so many as does Pilates with a good instructor who understands your needs.  With a dog, there is the obligation to walk.  At our cabin, we have a designated "poop loop".  It is a half mile and our dog does his "business".  But the best part is this:  even though I may not always wish to be the walker, I am so glad that I did the "loop".  Poop bags aside, just to get moving is the bonus.

Walk around the block, 15 minutes, 1/2 mile:  about 50 calories burned

1/2 hour Pilates, general workout or 1/2 hour stretching hatha yoga:  about 70 calories burned

- Kim Fielding

No comments:

Post a Comment