Apr 6, 2012

Raw Asparagus Salad

Raw asparagus ribbons with arugula and
toasted hazelnuts.
I never thought of raw asparagus as being appealing.  This salad totally changed my mind and is my current favorite.  Looking for something new and different for Easter holiday side dishes, this salad fits the bill.  Easy and quick - my kind of cooking!

I found this recipe on the Whole Living website via My New Roots blog written by Sara Britton.  Martha Stewart has Meatless Monday recipes on her site.  Check both of these out - you won't be disappointed.

serves:  6                    prep time:  15 minutes

1 bunch asparagus, woody stems snapped off
2 cups arugula
1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped

Dressing:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
1 shallot, minced
Salt and pepper to taste


Using a carrot peeler, peel the asparagus stalks into ribbons.  Cut the remaining tops lengthwise into halves.  Place in a bowl with the arugula and hazelnuts.

I left the skins on the hazelnuts and toasted them in
a skillet.  Crudely chop them for the salad.
Prepare the dressing.  Add enough to moisten the salad.  Enjoy. 

The original recipe suggested adding Pecorino Romano for serving if you wish to try that.  I make my salad dressings in a jar with a lid for easy mixing.  Just shake and go.

Calories for one serving are about 85.  In addition to vitamins, you will receive about 15% of your RDA for iron.  Eaten raw, asparagus has special properties to boost our immune system and help protect against cancer.

- Kim Fielding

No comments:

Post a Comment